Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Adopting While Fertile

There are a few things that take place when you adopt and know that you are fertile.  One of those things is a regular cycle.  I know that it may sound a little off for some people, but when you know that you are supposed to do something and you have a pure desire to do that, it isn't crazy to you.

Just FYI for some readers, I have been off all forms of hormonal birth control for 3 years.  We use the Fertility Awareness Method as outlined in the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler MPH as our form of birth control.  The 2 times that we have gotten pregnant we knew that there was a direct possibility that it could happen and were not at all surprised.

There are a couple of complications that I have found to adopting and charting my fertility on a daily basis.  We are adopting because we would like to have children.  There are multiple ways to have children when you are in a situation like mine.  Every cycle around ovulation I think to myself that I could have my first baby approximately 9 months from now.  Not the 1-2 years from now that adoption would take.  But then I think about all of the spiritual experiences that I have had that lead me to adoption and it makes it a lot easier to get through the time of peak fertility.

I talk about this because it is a constant reminder to the title of this blog.  It is our choice to adopt.  We were not forced into this as a last resort.  We want to bring children into our lives in this manner.  It is special to us to do this.  It has brought us closer together than we could have expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment